8.23.2011

What the HK is on your Needles? Vol. 13

One of my favourite sock designers is Cookie A. Her patterns range from easy and additive, like Monkey, to more difficult and detailed, like Nebula. She even takes some of the things we thought we knew about sock gussets and turns them on their ear with patterns like Kai Mei. One thing is certain with Cookie's patterns, they are popular.

And so this week I'm featuring a selection of socks recently knit from Cookie A patterns. Which wasn't difficult to do. There are always Knitalongs on Ravelry featuring Cookie and her patterns and HK was one of the yarns featured in Cookie's latest book, Knit.Sock.Love. As well, Cookie is running an awesome sock club this year and in June the featured dyer was Hazel Knits.

All of this Cookie popularity affords us the opportunity to observe how patterns look in different colour choices or how a colour looks with different patterns. Let's have a look at a Cookie sampler.

Rhonda (ravname: rstovin) knit up one of Cookie's June sock club patterns, Jubilee in the club colour, Oh My Darling.



And here, in another colour, Beachglass, are Debbie (ravname: debYarn)'s Jubilees.



The pattern looks sassy in both colours.

The other June sock club pattern was Orange Pekoe. Christy (ravname: ChristyH) knit her Orange Pekoe socks in an HK club colour, Meadow.



Tracy (ravname: Tracybug) knit her Orange Pekoe socks in the Cookie club colour, Oh My Darling.



Meadow definately results in a more subdued pair of socks. Depends what you are going for, I guess.

Another popular pattern is BFF. Lena (ravname: Lenaks) knit her BFFs in Coveralls (that carpet reminds me so much of my grandmothers house and the handwoven (by her hands) rag rug that went all through the upstairs of her house - flashback!).



Whereas, Ravname: LesleyBadger knit her BFFs in the club colour Pick Me.



In this case, I think the resulting socks are quite different depending on the colour. And while I love the socks in Pick Me, I think I need a pair of BFF socks in the more neutral Coveralls.

And finally, check out these gorgeous and intricate looking Twisted Flowers knit by Jan (ravname: chaddy233) in the equally gorgeous (and possibly my favourite colour) Vamp.



So what have we learnt? Well, you can't go wrong with a Cookie A pattern especially if you pair it with Hazel Knits yarn. I have used this formula for success myself many times in the past (see Monkey, Pomatomus and Hedera), and I am sure to do it again in the future.

Thanks to everyone for sharing there projects with me. Later this week I'll be announcing the upcoming Knitalong for September and October. Anyone love a mystery? I know I do!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

What a lovely batch of socks! I think you are right about that "formula for success": Cookie + Hazel = happy knitters.

p.s. I got a couple of skeins of Entice at the Sock Summit this year, and am excited to give it a try.

August 23, 2011 at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home