6.07.2011

What the HK is on Your Needles? Vol. 6

This week's "What the HK is on Your Needles?" is focusing on one particular knitter, Dorie (ravname: Sweetbeej). I think it is safe to say she is a real Hazel Knut.

Dorie has been a Hazel Knits fan pretty much since the beginning and has knit an overwhelming number of projects of all types in all of the HK base yarns.

So let's take a look at some of Dorie's most impressive projects.

First up we have Tangy Marlenes in Artisan Sock in Hi OcTANG. This Cookie A pattern is full of twisted rib stitches and I know from experience how hard on the hands this type of pattern can be. But the results are impressive.



Not content with small sock projects, Dorie also likes to take on sweaters. She recently completed this Vampy Audry in DK Lively in Vamp. What an amazing fit. And a perfect button choice (one of the hardest parts of sweater making for me).



But Dorie also likes to have fun with her projects. Check out her Beaded Tea Cozy in Artisan Sock in Jubilee (with a touch of Red Carpet). So cute! I need to make one of these.



Next up, is Dorie's Violeta's in Artisan Sock Red Carpet. A fantastic pattern/colour matchup.



But I have to say, probably Dorie's most impressive project is her Haruni in Merino-Soy Violeta. Look at all the detail on that edging. I can only imagine all the pins involved in blocking this masterpiece.



Now, as if all this knitting weren't enough, Dorie has also recently started designing and her first design, Greel, featured Artisan sock.

It looks smashing in both Jay Blue ...



... and Tulip. I love this pattern and have already knit them up myself in Wheatberry.



But I think Dorie summed it up best when I asked her for a few words about why she chooses to knit with Hazel Knits. Here's what she wrote: "I knit a lot and I love to wear knits. Nothing frustrates me more than using yarns of inconsistant quality or having precious knitted garments look old before their time. I put tons of hard work and love into every item I knit, so I want them to last. That's what I love the most about Hazel Knits. The yarn is always a joy to knit and my projects stay looking beautiful and new. No pilling, no fading, no felting. When you combine that with all of Wendee's amazing colours, you get gorgeous knitted garments that even non-knitters comment on.

Now that I'm starting to design my own patterns, I really appreciate the quality of Hazel Knits. Even when I find myself swatching and ripping out over and over again, the yarn still looks great so my designs look great too. My latest design is a hat the features five colours of Artisan Sock. I designed it to reflect my vegetarian lifestyle in a humorous way but it's totally appropriate for omnivores too."

Dorie's new pattern will be available later this summer, but for now she has given us a sneak peak.



Thanks to Dorie for sharing her projects with us this week. If you want to check out more of her handiwork visit her Ravelry project page. And we'll be sure to keep an eye on her future designs.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Big Burbs said...

I've been lucky enough to have seen many of Dorie's gorgeous FO's in person--- at knit group! She is an amazing knitter. It is only fitting that she has developed her abilities to include design as well. Lovely post! Congrats Dorie!!

June 7, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home